Sunday, October 31, 2010

Troll designs 1 - Tusseladd.

I did some various things on the movie Trolljegeren - The Troll Hunter; I contributed to the story and worked on the script for about six months, until illness made me give it completely over to André the director. Then when I came back about a year later I worked on basic concepts for the creatures, some scenographic decoration in the characters trailer, a notebook he has (not the actual newspaper articles), and a bunch of other stuff that wasn´t used.

I thought I´d post some of the troll designs that made it into the film.

Here´s the Tusseladd, who has three heads. The challenge here was to think of how three heads might actually work in real life, with three spines and such, and also how a 1000-year old creature would look. I don´t suppose going a 1000 years without breaking a leg or whatnot is actually possible.







I was then told to do a more toned down and "nicer" version of it, without the twitch in the leg and give him more hair and such. The heads are also a tad more cartoony and proportionally a bit larger than the first one. 



Head over to Storm Studios to check the final result... or watch the movie!

8 comments:

Cesar Tafoya said...

Congrats dude! I just read Universal Studios got the rights to distribute. I can't wait to see it.

Håvard S. Johansen said...

You´re right. And now André is going to Hollywood, it seems ;)

It should be in American theatres sometime during winter, I heard .. but major cities mostly, I think.

NYC is pretty big ...

Linda H said...

Prøvde å få sett denna filmen jeg, det var ikke snakk om at det var noe ledig!! HMPF!!! Great work Håvard!!

Håvard S. Johansen said...

Haha! Kult! Håper du får sett den en dag .. kommer nok til å gå lenge :) Snakkes snart!

Linda Haugvaldstad said...

Foresten du burde få med deg utstillingen Å se med hjertet på Galleri Tonne av Fotograf Kjell Brustad. Vernissasje på lørdag kl.13.00! Jeg har sett et utdrag av boka, de bildene er stein bra. Jeg får litt sånn pararleller til Trolljegeren på en måte. Kom å se, så kanskje vi sees!

Håvard S. Johansen said...

Aha. Takk for tips, men ligger nede med bronkitt og bihulebetennelse :( Skal sjekke ut fotografen, da ...

Oya's Daughter said...

I just saw this recently and though I am multicultural my family is from Norway some generations removed and I remember the stories of trolls. I really enjoyed this film and the bit with the three goats on the bridge made me burst out laughing! Well done!

Håvard S. Johansen said...

There´s no doubt the film gets an extra layer if you have some insight into troll mythology, and if you additionally speak some norwegian, it´s even better.

Thank you for commenting :)